follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: LI-7
Corporate Name: Branch & Green
Local Name:
Owner Name: Judge E. T. Branch and Richard and Reason Green
Location: Four miles north of Liberty on the bank of the Trinity River
County: Liberty
Years in Operation: 11 years
Start Year: 1855
End Year: 1865
Decades: 1850-1859,1860-1869
Period of Operation: 1855 to 1865
Town: North of Liberty
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Pine, cypress, and hardwood lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill and sugar mill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: None
Historicial Development: The Liberty Gazette carried, on April 16, November 29 and December 3, 1855, adds stating that an one-half interest in the Branch & Green mill was for sale. The mill site was “situated immediately on the bank of the Trinity River, four miles above the town of Liberty. There is an abundance of pine, cypress, magnolia and oak of every description in the vicinity.” The April ad also noted that Judge Branch “advertises a desirable Farm for sale. The Farm is abut two miles from here, on the Beaumont road, and combines many advantages.” The owners were Judge E. T. Branch and the Green family (Richard and Reason), who also operated a large sugar mill operation. The sawmill was mentioned as late as 1861 in diaries of Liberty families and is identified on a Confederate map of Liberty, which was captured by the Union Army.
Research Date: JKG 12-14-93, MCJ 03-14-96
Prepared By: J Gerland, M Johnson