follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: LI-11
Corporate Name: C. R. Cummings Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Charles R. and Jesse N. Cummings
Location: Liberty
County: Liberty
Years in Operation: 9 years
Start Year: 1890
End Year: 1898
Decades: 1890-1899
Period of Operation: 1890s
Town: Liberty
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Hardwood lumber (oak, ash, gum, cottonwood, hickory)
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: 50,000 feet daily
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: A single circular sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Exported production via the Trinity River and Galveston Bay
Historicial Development: The Cummings sawmills at Anahuac and Liberty cut hardwoods (oak, ash, gum, cottonwood, hickory) for the export trade to Germany. Cummings owned a shipyard at Wallisville that built tugs and ships, which exported hardwood products. Jesse Cummings sold his interests to German businessmen. The company bought the Horatio, the old steamboat used by C N. Fisher, and quickly made it the flagship of the Cummings fleet. W. T. Block suggests that the company (C. R. Cummings after Jesse sold out) supported its two mills with a floating commissary. Eventually both mills were consolidated at Wallisville.
Research Date: MCJ 03-14-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson