follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: GG-25
Corporate Name: Cooper, Hardin, & Co
Local Name: Mauthe Mill No. 2
Owner Name: Cooper, Hardin, & Co. F. J. McCord and John M. Duncan. William Keechle. P. E. King.
Location: Armstrong tract of land on the north bank of the Sabine River
County: Gregg
Years in Operation: 3 years
Start Year: 1878
End Year: 1880
Decades: 1870-1879,1880-1889
Period of Operation: 1878 to 1880
Town: Armstrong tract of land on the north bank of the Sabine River
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill, two lath machines, three planers, two resaws, a band saw, a spoke lathe, three sets of blacksmith tools, three mules, ninety-six oxen, two two-horse wagons, five tram cars and sets of harness, and a log turner.
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Texas & Pacific
Historicial Development: Jacob Mauthe had two steam sawmills located in Gregg County in the latter 1870s. The first one was known as the Monkey Lake Mill, or Neal Mill, located about eight miles west of Longview on the Alvice tract of land at Merrill Lake. The second was known as Mauthe's Mill No 2: this was located on the Armstrong tract of land on the north bank of the Sabine River. Its equipment included steam machinery, the sawmill, two lath machines, three planers, two resaws, a band saw, a spoke lathe, three sets of blacksmith tools, three mules, ninety-six oxen, two two-horse wagons, five tram cars and sets of harness, and a log turner. Mauthe sold his two steam sawmills to William Keechle for $2,500. The sale also included forty oxen, five log wagons. The Monkey Lake mill of Mauthe's had come into the hands of by P. E. King. He mortgaged it for $1,000 in March 1878, due March 12, 1879. Equipment included five log wagons and forty oxen. Both mills were transferred later from Wm Keechle to Cooper, Hardin & Co (John W. Cooper, A. H. S. Hardin, and French Cooper), who sold them to F. J. McCord and John M. Duncan. Ownership of the mills becomes confusing. A railroad directory lists both Jacob Mauthe and Hardin, Cooper & Co at Gladewater but not McCord and Duncan.
Research Date: MCJ 04-19-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson