follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: AG-78
Corporate Name: Harrington Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Harrington Lumber Company with W. G. Harrington. S. J. Cowart. T. J. Williams.
Location: Diboll [Station or Junction], four miles east of Lufkin on the tracks of the Cotton Belt
County: Angelina
Years in Operation: 7 years
Start Year: 1905
End Year: 1911
Decades: 1900-1909,1910-1919
Period of Operation: 1905 to 1911
Town: Diboll Station, east of Lufkin
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Five houses
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough and finished lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Brinnan” [Bremmen] sawmill complete; dollies; trimmers; blacksmith tools and shop. Planing mill with a Berlin planer and matcher.
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Texas & New Orleans (Southern Pacific)
Historicial Development: The Beaumont Journal reported in 1905 that T. J. Williams was looking into purchasing one of the mills at Shawnee Creek. Angelina County records of the same date note that T. J. Williams was buying lumber from the Nunnally & McConnico sawmill. Williams did not buy a mill at Shawnee but apparently did purchase one near the Diboll Station site, four miles east of Lufkin, next to the tracks of the Cotton Belt. Diboll Station is not the Diboll on the Houston East & West Texas tracks just north of the Neches River. Williams became indebted to J. J. McConnico, and the latter sold Williams' sawmill, grist mill, gin, and company town to S. J. Cowart in December 1907 for $1,200. Cowart had earlier been sawmilling near Huntington. W. G. Harrington of Harrington Lumber Company of Nacogdoches County (with the Davisville Lumber Company of Angelina County) accepted a deed of trust from S. J. Cowart Lumber Company on October 6, 1908, for the sawmill site at Diboll Junction. Equipment included a 44-inch by 12-foot boiler; a 10-inch by 14-inch steam engine; a “Brinnan” [Bremmen] sawmill complete; dollies; trimmers; blacksmith tools and ship; and five box houses. By October 1911, Harrington had control of the sawmill plant; in October that year, he gave a deed of trust to B. A. Longine as a Trustee for a $2,000 mortgage. It was located on seven acres of T. J. Hicks. Harrington had apparently converted the sawmill plant into a planing mill with a Berlin planer and matcher.
Research Date: MCJ 01-12-96
Prepared By: M Johnson