follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: AG-91
Corporate Name: J. V. Lankford
Local Name:
Owner Name: J. V. Lankford
Location: Near the Angelina River, on the Michelli grant
County: Angelina
Years in Operation: 13 years
Start Year: 1920
End Year: 1932
Decades: 1920-1929,1930-1939
Period of Operation: 1920s to 1932
Town: Near the Angelina River
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Pine and hardwood lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Houston East & West Texas
Historicial Development: J. V. Lankford operated sawmills at various sites in Angelina County for more than thirty years: just north and east of Redland in 1907 and 1908 at Davisville; four miles west of Lufkin from 1909 to 1912, at Iron Bridge three miles west of Lufkin from about 1914 to 1917, at Collwood (Hoshall) about 1917, at Manton/Platt from 1918 to 1919, on the Michelli Grant from 1920 to 1934, and at Redland from 1934 to 1941, when he retired. Very little has been recorded about his lumber business. After J. V. Lankford & Sons of Redland sold their mill at Collwood (also known as Hoshall) to Luke Wright before 1920, Lankford built a mill near the Angelina River. Located on the tracks of the Houston East & West Texas railroad, the Lankford mill operated until 1932, cutting both pine and hardwood. The Texas Fence Company of Lufkin was one of its customers.
Research Date: MCJ 01-12-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson