follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: AN-5
Corporate Name: Prince Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Prince Lumber Company with Rudolph Prince
Location: Palestine
County: Anderson
Years in Operation: 4 years
Start Year: 1928
End Year: 1931
Decades: 1920-1929,1930-1939
Period of Operation: Moved from Parkerville, Nacogdoches County, in 1928. Moved to Porter Springs about 1931.
Town: Palestine
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough and finished pine lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill and planing mill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: None
Historicial Development: Rudolph Prince, according to Hazel Kesinger and Inez Brown who lived with their families at the mill town near Palestine, moved his sawmill from Parkerville, Nacogdoches County, in 1928 to a site at or near Palestine. The young girls' families followed Prince to Palestine to continue working for him. About 1931 Prince moved his equipment to Porter Springs, Houston County. The Kesinger and Brown families returned to Parkerville to make their living at share cropping on the Stripling farm. The sawmill and small mill town was similar to that at Parkerville in Nacogdoches County. Mrs. Kathryn Hunter noted that her first remembrances of life were involved with Prince's Mill. The main mill and town were located in the southwestern part of Nacogdoches County during the 1920s, about a mile or two from what is now FM 789. The second mill was located about two miles from Parkerville. The sawmill community had been established by Rudolph Prince. Mrs. Hunter was a small child when her parents, Lloyd Johnson and Annie Christian Johnson, moved to Prince's Mill. Mrs. Hunter recalls that the little community had ten to fifteen tenant houses of both the box and shotgun patterns, a small commissary, a little dance hall, and a “brush-arbor” church, which may have held Catholic services, for she remembered that she first heard the Spanish language at the little church from a “little man from Mexico” who came to hold services. The Johnson's house was larger because Mrs. Johnson kept at least three boarders at their home. Kerosene provided lighting, and water was drawn from a well.
Research Date: MCJ 03-06-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson