follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: AN-7
Corporate Name: George D. Broyles Lumber Company;
Local Name:
Owner Name: Wright & Broyles. B. F. W. Broyles. George D. Broyles Lumber Company.
Location: Palestine: planing mill at Combination and Royal, south of International & Great Northern
County: Anderson
Years in Operation: 56 years
Start Year: 1879
End Year: 1934
Decades: 1870-1879,1880-1889,1890-1899,1900-1909,1910-1919,1920-1929,1930-1939,
Period of Operation: 1879 to 1934
Town: Palestine
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Manufactures sash, doors, blinds, and frames in 1880. Listed as a sawmill by 1884.
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: 30-horsepower steam engine
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: 300,000 feet of lumber during the reporting period of the Census
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Circular sawmill, and by 1885 a planing mill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: International & Great Northern
Historicial Development: B. F. W. Broyles operated a steam saw mill at Palestine during the census year ending May 31, 1880. His mill was worth $5000, and he employed six hands over the age of sixteen years. Ten hour days were normal, and wages ranged from $1.00 to $2.30 per day. The mill ran full time, year-round, and two circular saws were utilized in manufacturing sash, doors, blinds, and frames, in addition to 300,000 feet of lumber. Wages paid during the year were $1200. Broyles did not do his own logging. By 1884, Broyles had taken a partner by the name of Wright. The business was listed as a sawmill in an 1884 railroad directory. Wright & Broyles were located on the northeast corner of Combination and Royal, and south of the tracks of the International & Great Northern. The company apparently provided housing for its workers, for approximately a dozen dwellings were located on company grounds along Regan and Royal Streets. The planing mill was under the control of W. and G. D. Broyles by 1905. It was still located at Combination and the tracks of the International & Great Northern. It passed into the control of the George D. Broyles Lumber Company and was listed in 1928 and 1934 at Palestine as a planing mill company.
Research Date: JKG 9-28-93, MCJ 03-06-96
Prepared By: J. Gerland, M Johnson