follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: BO-16
Corporate Name: Central Coal & Coke Company
Local Name: 4-C
Owner Name: Central Coal & Coke Company. Richard H. Keith and John Perry, original partners. Bowie Lumber Company
Location: Texarkana, Tx.
County: Bowie
Years in Operation: 15 years
Start Year: 1888
End Year: 1902
Decades: 1880-1889,1890-1899,1900-1909
Period of Operation: Bowie Lumber, 1888; 1893, Central Coal and Coke,1893 to 1902.
Town: Texarkana
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: All grades of finished and unfinished lumber and timbers
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 40000: 1893175000: 1901
Capacity Comments: From 40,000 in 1893 to 175,000 feet daily in 1901.
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Originally a single circular, replaced in 1893 with with single band; 1894 plant probably had double bands. The operation also included dry kilns and a planing mill.
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Texas & Pacific. St Louis Southwestern.
Historicial Development: Bowie Lumber Company appears in county records as early as 1888, when M. D. Tilson sold it land located near the Texas & Pacific tracks. Other entries reveal that company offices were located at Texarkana while it continued to buy land near the Sulphur River and north of the town of Ingersoll. Central Coal and Coke Company bought the Bowie Lumber Company's Texarkana plant in early 1893, which had been cutting 40,000 feet daily that year. With new owners, the company popularly known as ‘4-C,' replaced the single circular saw configuration with a band mill, while it began construction on a newer mill. The new plant began operations in January 1894, and its saw configuration was most likely a double band. The American Lumberman reported in 1900 that the plant suffered a fire in the spring of 1895 and a new plant was built, cutting shortleaf yellow pine. W. H. Carson was the superintendent. A 1901 publication listed the mill's capacity at 175,000 feet daily. The 4-C company built another mill at Neame, Louisiana around 1898, and operated both mills until summer 1902 when the Texarkana plant was dismantled and relocated at Carson, Louisiana. It is believed the Texarkana plant was not moved until after the 4-C plant at Ratcliff (Kennard) was already operating. The Ratcliff mill's “trial run” was May 20, 1902.
Research Date: JKG 8-23-93, MCJ 04-15-96
Prepared By: J. Gerland, M. Johnson