follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: CK-20
Corporate Name: Cobb-Holman Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Cobb-Holman Lumber Company. Sam A. Cobb, W. W. Holman. Miller-Brooks Manufacturing Company. 1981: Luman W. Holman, his sons Luman K. and Wade D. and Charles M. Holman, and sons-in-law Tony Holton and Bobby Holder.
Location: Jacksonville: Alabama Avenue and railroad spur
County: Cherokee
Years in Operation: 82 years
Start Year: 1906
End Year: 1987
Decades: 1900-1909,1910-1919,1920-1929,1930-1939,1940-1949,1950-1959,1960-1969,1970-1979,1980-1989
Period of Operation: 1906 to 1987
Town: Jacksonville
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Yellow pine and hardwood flooring
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 30000: 1918
Capacity Comments: Listed at 30,000 feet daily in 1918.
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill, planing mill, trimmers, edgers, dry kilns
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: 1928: St Louis Southwestern (Cotton Belt) and Southern Pacific (Texas & New Orleans) and International & Great Northern (Missouri Pacific)
Historicial Development: Miller-Brooks Manufacturing Co built its mill in Jacksonville on Alabama Avenue, next to the tracks of the Southern Pacific and Missouri Pacific. B. J. Albritton served as President. It included a planing mill. Shavings and refuse from the saw and planing mills were blown to the Jacksonville Ice & Electric Company for boiler fuel, which in turn generated electricity for the sawmill and private consumers. The Jacksonville Light & Power Co was located on the corner of Neches and South Front Street, immediately south of the International & Great Northern railroad. Sam A. Cobb, Sr., leased the mill in 1912 and bought it in 1916. In 1917, Wade W. Holman became Cobb's partner and the company operated as Cobb-Holman Lumber. The company had logging fronts at Fry's Switch, Hume's Switch, Price's Switch, Overton, and Tecula. It contracted the cut of several smaller sawmills over the years, shipping their rough lumber to Jacksonville for dressing on the Cobb-Holman planers. The plant also included trimmers, edgers, a planing mill, dry kilns, and ran a commissary. It was listed in the 1928 edition of the Southern Lumberman's Directory of American Saw Mills and Planing Mills with a daily capacity of 30,000 feet on its circular saw. The mill continued for some years to supply the electric light company with boiler fuel. The demand from the East Texas oil fields supported the mill during the 1930s. When Cobb died in 1943, ownership devolved on the Wade W. Holman family. The company produced one million board feet of lumber during 1960. By the 1970s, the company was manufacturing trailer homes. The company closed in 1987.
Research Date: JKG 12-9-93, MCJ 12-08-95
Prepared By: J. Gerland, M. Johnson