follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: AG-19
Corporate Name: Angelina Hardwood Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Angelina Hardwood Company. H. G. Bohlssen Hardwood Company. H. G. Bohlssen and Simon Henderson.
Location: Ewing: East of McClure Cometary at end of 150
County: Angelina
Years in Operation: 25 years
Start Year: 1920
End Year: 1944
Decades: 1920-1929,1930-1939,1940-1949
Period of Operation: 1920 to 1944
Town: Ewing
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: 300 in 1928, 131 in 1934, 851 in 1940
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Hardwood mill
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 45000: 192880000: 1935
Capacity Comments: 45,000 feet daily in 1928 80,000 in 1935
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: 1922: circular first. 1924: band sawmill, edgers, trimmers
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Angelina & Neches River R. R. Co.
Historicial Development: H. G. Bohlssen went into partnership with Simon Henderson and others of Angelina County Lumber Company for the purpose of manufacturing and selling lumber. Sam Parten was the first mill wright, beginning in 1919. The mill was operational by the end of 1920. Bohlssen was killed by sliding lumber on a loading dock, in 1922. The name of the company was changed by charter amendment to Angelina Hardware Company in 1924. The cut for 1922 was 6,514,641 board feet, for 1923 was 5,886,200, and for 1924 was 2,606,314. Fire destroyed in 1924 the sawmill and power plant for a net loss after insurance of $6,781.98. Lufkin Foundry assisted in the rebuilding of the plant. By the mid 1930s, the company was running 80,000 board feet daily, but even so, it lost $4,800.41 in 1936. Accidents were common and death not infrequent: John Franklin Davison died underneath a train at the switching yard; Veller Johnson took a slab through the chest when it kicked back from the saw Johnson was running; John Henderson, a principal owner and the general manager for fourteen years, died from burns he suffered when he fell into an unknown, long-smouldering slab pit, in April 1944. A lack of labor, the rising cost of bringing logs from a distance, and Mr. Henderson's death all contributed to the mill closing in December, 1944.
Research Date: MCJ 12-04-95
Prepared By: M. Johnson