follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: AG-2
Corporate Name: Emporia Lumber Company
Local Name: Emporia
Owner Name: Emporia Lumber Company. S. F. Carter, president and general manager.; M. T. Jones, vice-president; J.P. Carter, secretary.
Location: Emporia: present-day Maynard and highway 69 south in Diboll
County: Angelina
Years in Operation: 13 years
Start Year: 1894
End Year: 1906
Decades: 1890-1899,1900-1909
Period of Operation: From 1893 or 1894 until at least June 1906, but no later than September 1906.
Town: Emporia (in south Diboll)
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: 250 in 1906
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: All grades of finished and unfinished lumber and timbers
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 75000
Capacity Comments: 75,000 feet of lumber daily
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: A complete sawmill, probably circular initially, but could have been changed to single band later. Included a planing mill and dry kilns.
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Located on the Houston East & West Texas railroad and operated its own railroad, the Emporia & Gulf.
Historicial Development: M. T. Jones and S. F. Carter, both of Houston, purchased approximately 5755 acres of land situated in southern Angelina County from W.H. Bonner on November 3, 1892. The town of Emporia received a post office in July 1893, and it is believed that a mill was operating by that time, and certainly no later than October 1894 when the Emporia Lumber Company was incorporated. Jones and Carter , identified as “manufacturers of long leaf yellow pine lumber at Emporia, Angelina County, Texas,” then deeded approximately 9186 acres to the newly formed corporation on November 1, 1894. A company letterhead dated August 8, 1897 reveals the Emporia plant having a sawmill capacity of 75,000 and a planing mill capacity of 100,000. Advertisements in trade journals indicated an Emporia mill at Emporia as late as June 1906, but the mill actually was destroyed by fire in March 1906. However, the firm was still listed in the 1907 Reference Book of the Lumbermen's Credit Association, January 1907. The post office was discontinued in April 1907. Original directors were S.F. Carter, M.T. Jones, and T.W. Ford. The Emporia & Gulf ran 15 miles west to Crooker, then several miles northwest to connect with the Texas & New Orleans between Huntington and Zavalla
Research Date: JKG 12-29-93, MCJ 12-04-95
Prepared By: J. Gerland, M Johnson