follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: MA-16
Corporate Name: Douglas Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Sutton & Rogers. A. M. Rhyne and Bill Bolding. W. A. Douglas, A. M. Rhyne, and C. A Douglas
Location: Four and a half miles south of Avinger
County: Marion
Years in Operation: 13 years
Start Year: 1897
End Year: 1909
Decades: 1890-1899,1900-1909
Period of Operation: 1897 to 1909
Town: South of Avinger
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Dressed and rough lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill and planing mill with twelve oxen, two log wagons, five mules, the sawmill, two 60-inch saws, and an edger.
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Unknown
Historicial Development: Marion County Deed Records reveal that the Douglas Lumber Company ownership consisted of W. A. Douglas, A. M. Rhyne, and C. A. Douglas. The mill was located about four and a half miles south of Avinger. W. A. Douglas sold out; the records reveal that property included the steam machinery, the sawmill, the planing mill, two log wagons, three yoke of cattle, a wagon, and two mules. By 1900, management was in the control of A. M. Rhyne and Bill Bolding. A mortgage with Torrans Manufacturing Company that year entailed steam machinery, twelve oxen, two log wagons, five mules, the sawmill, two 60-inch saws, and an edger. In 1909, A. M. Rhyne sold to Sutton & Rogers a sawmill complex, probably that of the old Douglas Lumber Company, along with 750 acres.
Research Date: MCJ 05-04-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson