follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: MA-26
Corporate Name: Glen Lumber Co
Local Name:
Owner Name: Glen Lumber Co, successor to Marion Lumber Company. Torrans Manufacturing Co.
Location: Glen's Spur, southwestern part of Marion County with logging done at Pine Ridge
County: Marion
Years in Operation: 10 years
Start Year: 1901
End Year: 1910
Decades: 1900-1909
Period of Operation: 1901 to about 1910
Town: Glen's Spur
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: 2,850 in 1905
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber and shingles
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 50000: 1901
Capacity Comments: 50,000 feet daily in 1901
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill and planing mill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Kansas City Southern Railway Company; Texas & Pacific; Kansas, Missouri & Texas
Historicial Development: The Glen Lumber Company, described as the successor to the Marion Lumber Company in Marion County Deeds of Trust, with Thomas and Lola Willis, had been sawmilling at Pine Ridge since 1905. That year the leased forty acres on the J. W. Fields Survey at a $100 per year. The company operated a wood and steel tram road from its logging camp at Pine Ridge to its mill town. American Lumberman in 1905 noted that the Glen Lumber Company bought the sawmill of the Torrans Manufacturing Company in Marion County. Torrans Manufacturing, according to a railroad circular, had a production capacity of 50,000 feet of lumber daily in 1901. Glen Lumber continued tram operations in 1906, leasing a right of way on Henry Washington's land. Glen Lumber belonged to the Yellow Pine Manufacturers Association, in 1908. In 1908, the company mortgaged a planing mill plant in Rusk County to Porter & Biggs. An unsigned article in Crosscut, reported that this “was one of the most substantial lumbering communities in the region. The company operated a commissary store, paid its workers with ‘chips,' had an insurance company, and hired a doctor for mill workers.”
Research Date: MCJ 05-04-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson