follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: MO-26
Corporate Name: Bruce Brothers Lumber Company
Local Name: Bruce Lumber
Owner Name: G. S. Bruce, Robertson Bruce, and Sidney Bruce
Location: Pauli
County: Montgomery
Years in Operation: 5 years
Start Year: 1900
End Year: 1904
Decades: 1900-1909
Period of Operation: 1900 to 1904
Town: Pauli
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Unknown
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 20000: 1904
Capacity Comments: 20,000 feet daily
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Houston East & West Texas tram
Historicial Development: The three brothers are listed as “sawmill owners” in the 1900 as sawmill owners and living in precinct 2, residences 9 and 10. In the 1910 Census, Robertson and Sidney are living next to each other in precinct 2, residences 134 and 135, but G. H. Bruce is living at precinct 10, residence 567 in Montgomery; they all are listed as “sawmill owners.” William Ferguson was living at Residence 565, Precinct 10, two doors from G. H. Bruce. On August 24, 1903, the Houston East & West Texas Railroad contracted with Bruce Bros for the sawmill to lease one mile of rails for a tram road for three years. The rails were to be delivered to the sawmill at Pauli, near New Caney. The rails were worth $1,500. Bruce Bros. would pay a yearly rent of $150. In December 1904, Bruce Bros. sold 248,000 feet of lumber to to Henry House of Houston. The Bruce Lumber Company had a sawmill at Porters in 1905, about three miles north of Pauli. It was listed in the Reference Book of the Lumbermen's Credit Association, January 1905 and 1907.
Research Date: MCJ 03-19-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson