follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: MO-55
Corporate Name: Daniel Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Daniel's Lumber Company. 1952: Co-owners, C. H. Daniel, Sr., J . W. Daniel, and R. W. Daniel.
Location: Porter
County: Montgomery
Years in Operation: 23 years
Start Year: 1935
End Year: 1957
Decades: 1930-1939,1940-1949,1950-1959
Period of Operation: 1935 to 1957
Town: Porters
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: 150 in 1940
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough and finished lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 35000: 1952
Capacity Comments: 35,000 feet daily in 1952
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill, two planers, and double kilns
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Texas & New Orleans (Southern Pacific)
Historicial Development: The sawmill of Daniel Lumber Company at Porters was established in 1935. It burned on December 9, 1948. Insurance partially covered the $150,000 loss. The company estimated that rebuilding would take forty to sixty days to reerect operations in the two-story main building, which was forty feet by two hundred feet. The facility included a log pond measuring two hundred feet. The Gulf Coast Lumberman reported on December 1, 1952, that the sawmill was closing after seventeen years of activity. The plant included a sawmill with a cutting capacity of 35,000 feet daily, two planers, and double kilns. The co-owners, C. H. Daniel, Sr., and his sons J . W. Daniel, and R. W. Daniel, stated the reasons for the closing were the high cost and inaccessibility of timber. The Directory of Texas Manufacturers 1956-1958 noted that the company was still operating a planing mill at Porter in 1957.
Research Date: MCJ 03-19-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson