follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: MO-97
Corporate Name: Grogan- Cochran Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Grogan- Cochran Lumber Company, George R. Grogan, president. Daniel Lumber Company, C. H. Daniel, Sr., J . W. Daniel, and R. W. Daniel. Day Lumber and Timber Company of Houston, Texas. Trinity River Lumber Company
Location: Cowl Spur, about seven miles west of Conroe
County: Montgomery
Years in Operation: 27 years
Start Year: 1934
End Year: 1960
Decades: 1930-1939,1940-1949,1950-1959,1960-1969
Period of Operation: 1934 to 1960
Town: Cowl Spur
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: 150 in 1934
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill, planing mill, dry kiln, dry sheds
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe
Historicial Development: Day Lumber & Timber Company was operating a lumber mill at Cowl Spur in 1934 and one in Houston. The mill was sold in 1938 to the Daniel Lumber Company and continued to use the original name. Daniel Lumber Company transferred the mill to R. W. Peckham, who sold it to Grogan- Cochran Lumber Company in March, 1942, for $15,000. Grogan-Cochran Lumber Company continued using the original company name. In 1947, Trinity River Lumber Company was marketing the sawmill's output. By 1953, this was known as the Timber Lumber Company and probably still a Grogan-Cochran outfit, because of the combination of “timber” and “lumber” in the company name and because a Conroe ice plant supplied ice houses at the Grogan-Cochran sawmill at Magnolia and to the Timber Lumber Company at Cowl Spur in 1953. The company appeared in the Directory of Texas Manufacturers 1956-1958 at Conroe. Roy Cole was listed as the manager of more than 100 employees. It appeared again in the Directory of Texas Manufacturers 1960.
Research Date: MCJ 03-20-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson