follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: MO-99
Corporate Name: Grogan-Cochran Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: The Gladstell Lumber Company was a Grogan-Cochran Lumber subdivision in 1917, when the company incorporated. Owners were W. R. Grogan, George L. Grogan, T. R. Cochran. 1949: George L. Grogan, president.
Location: Conroe
County: Montgomery
Years in Operation: 59 years
Start Year: 1915
End Year: 1973
Decades: 1910-1919,1920-1929,1930-1939,1940-1949,1950-1959,1960-1969,1970-1979,
Period of Operation: About 1915 to 1973. Sold to I. H.-45 North in 1973.
Town: Conroe
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Dimensions, flooring, roof decking. In 1962, pulpwood chips were added.
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam, electric
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 50000: 194635000: 1966
Capacity Comments: 50,000 feet daily in 1946; 35,000 feet daily in 1966.
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: A circular sawmill with a planer and resaw.
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Unknown
Historicial Development: Grogan-Cochran Lumber Company operated mills in Montgomery County from after 1910 to the early 1970s. The owners and incorporators of the new Grogan-Cochran Company in 1917 were also operating the Gladstell Lumber Company at Gladstell, when the name was changed to the Grogan-Cochran Lumber Company. In 1946, it had bought 25,000 acres of stumpage from South Texas Development Corporation. The mill was described as having a daily cutting capacity of 50,000 feet, and had a modern planter, and Moore cross-circulation dry kilns. On November 28, 1950, a fire partially destroyed the facility. The planer, kilns, and a shed were saved. By 1962, the mill had been completely remodernized. The cutting capacity could reach 44,000 to 48,000 feet in an eight hour shift. Steam was used for the shotgun, carriage, and kilns, but electricity ran everything else. A new product was pulpwood chips, created by a Cambio debarker, a chipper and screens. The planer had added a resaw and another matcher. The company appeared under the Gladstell name in Samson's 1957 edition of Directory of Wood-Using and Related Industries in East Texas. A later directory reported that the sawmill had a kiln and worked with southern pine. The daily cutting capacity had dropped to 35,000 feet. Management included, in 1962 brothers Horace Grogan, president; J. G. Grogan, vice president; and Paul Grogan, secretary/treasurer. By 1966, Grogan Bros was the largest employer in Montgomery County with between 125 and 150 workers.
Research Date: MCJ 03-20-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson