follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  

Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: MO-101
Corporate Name: Grogan-Cochran Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Grogan- Cochran Lumber Company
Location: Magnolia
County: Montgomery
Years in Operation: 11 years
Start Year: 1950
End Year: 1960
Decades: 1950-1959,1960-1969
Period of Operation: 1950- March 5,1960 (moved from old site at Magnolia; see other entry)
Town: Magnolia
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: 450 in 1928; 175 in 1934
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Pine
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 50000: 1950
Capacity Comments: 1950: 50,000 feet daily
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: 1950: 7-ft band, vertical re-saw, planer, and kilns.
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Unknown
Historicial Development: Grogan-Cochran Lumber Company, following the fire that destroyed its mill at Magnolia in 1948, rebuilt the mill on land the company had bought. The old site had been leased. New equipment included a seven-foot band and a vertical resaw. The undamaged planer and dry kilns would be moved from the old site. By September, 1951, the mill had been operating for several weeks. An eight-foot band head rig, a Wheland carrier, a seven-foot resaw, a double edger, slashers and trimmers, and a straight line rip were among the new sawmill machinery. An automated drop sorter was also installed. Another fire in August, 1952, ravaged the planer, the commissary, and consumed some lumber. Loss was estimated at $100,000. The plant was closed in March,1960, because it was not cost-effective. The closing of the plant eliminated more than 200 jobs with annual payroll of $700,000, according to The Texas Forest News. A fire, on September 22, 1960, ravaged the planing mill, the lumber sheds, and quite a bit of lumber. The sawmill, however, was not damaged.
Research Date: MCJ 03-20-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson