follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: HA-18
Corporate Name: Bunt Brothers Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: father Wilton Bunt with sons Raymond, Felton, and Barnie
Location: Intersection of Highway 449 and Airlite Road, three miles east of Walker's Mill
County: Harrison
Years in Operation: 3 years
Start Year: 1934
End Year: 1936
Decades: 1930-1939
Period of Operation: 1934 to 1936
Town: East of Walker's Mill
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough and finished lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 10000: 1934
Capacity Comments: 10,000 board feet daily
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill and planing mill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: None
Historicial Development: Barney Bunt, the author of A Place Called Walker's Mill, recalled that father Wilton Bunt with sons Raymond, Felton, and Barnie operated a sawmill at the intersection of Highway 449 and Airlite Road, some three miles east of Walker's Mill, from 1934 to 1936, before relocating the next year to Walker's Mill. These smaller mills, at times called “peckerwood” and “doodlebug” and “whipporwill mills” could cut 10,000 feet daily. In 1937, they moved the mill to Walker's Mill where it operated until 1949.
Research Date: MCJ 02-05-96
Prepared By: M Johnson