follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: AG-18
Corporate Name: Carter - Kelley Lumber Company
Local Name: Manning
Owner Name: Carter - Kelley Lumber Company. Carter-Kelley Lumber Company ownership in 1906 : G.A. Kelley, W.T. Carter, Jack Thomas, Judge E.J. Mantooth, Tom Collins, C.C. Grimble, L.C. Carter, Earnest Carter, and G. C. Garrison.
Location: Manning, Highway 844 and Manning Road
County: Angelina
Years in Operation: 30 years
Start Year: 1906
End Year: 1935
Decades: 1900-1909,1910-1919,1920-1929,1930-1939
Period of Operation: Began initial operations in 1906; burned in January 1935.
Town: Manning
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: 3000 in 1928
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Only 30% of output was yard stock in 1915; 70% was in timbers, ties, and framing. Mill's specialty was flooring. 1928: crossties, dimension stock timbers.
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 100000
Capacity Comments: 100,000 feet daily / 30 million feet annually; planing mill was 125,000.
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Double band by at least 1916. 1928: Band sawmill, resaw, planing mill, edgers, trimmers, dry kilns, electric light plant
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: The company logging shortline, the Shreveport, Houston, and Gulf (“Shove Hard and Grunt”), connected with the Texas & New Orleans at Prestridge
Historicial Development: The Carter-Kelley sawmill at Manning was organized and built by W.T. Carter, Sr. and George A. Kelley in 1906. Carter was a prominent East Texas sawmiller and Kelley, a former master machinist for Allis and Company of Milwaukee, was perhaps the most knowledgeable man of sawmill machinery to ever reach East Texas. Kelley was also an early organizer of the Lufkin Land and Lumber Company sawmill at Lufkin. The Carter-Kelley partnership was established to cut a large tract of long leaf timber in southern Angelina County owned by the W.T. Carter and Bro. Lumber Company. The Manning mill was built in the summer of 1906, and was well into operations in 1907. The Manning sawmill ran at nights until at least 1914, and thereafter the mill was reported often as not running a night shift. Commenting on the early operations of the Manning mill, W.T. Carter was quoted in the October 1908 issue of the Southern Industrial and Lumber Review as saying the Manning sawmill was “built purposely for double shift operation.” “Without a night run,” Carter said, “it would not pay to operate the plant.” Fire struck the sawmill plant in both 1912 and 1916, but the saw and planing mills were soon rebuilt. W. T. Carter & Bro bought out Kelley in 1928. When fire destroyed the sawmill again in January 1935, however, the plant began its closing.
Research Date: JKG 12-28-93; MCJ 12-04-95
Prepared By: J. Gerland, M. Johnson