follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: NA-1
Corporate Name: Frost Industries, Inc.
Local Name:
Owner Name: Olin-Matheson Industries. Frost Industries. Frost-Johnson Lumber. Hayward Lumber. E. L. Hayward, George W. Cable, W. H. Kimball (1903-1910). Frost Lumber Company, headquarters at Shreveport. Edwin Ambrose Frost.
Location: Nacogdoches, intersection of University and Butt Streets
County: Nacogdoches
Years in Operation: 51 years
Start Year: 1904
End Year: 1954
Decades: 1900-1909,1910-1919,1920-1929,1930-1939,1940-1949,1950-1959
Period of Operation: 1904, Hayward; 1910, Frost-Johnson; Olin-Matheson, 1952 to 1954.
Town: Nacogdoches
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Fifty to seventy-five houses and 300 employees
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: 1915: planing patterns. 1928: longleaf and shortleaf
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 125000: 1904100000: 191580000: 1928
Capacity Comments: 125,000 feet daily in 1904; 100,000 in 1906; 100,000 in 1915. 1928: 80,000 feet on the sawmill and 70,000 feet on the planers.
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Pre-1928: 14-inch band and 36-inch gang, shaper, moulder, cutoff, resaw, shotgun feed, lath mill, planer, shaper/moulder, dry kilns. Post-1928: band, resaw, planing mill, edgers, trimmers, dry kilns, logging road, electric plant.
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Texas & New Orleans (later Southern Pacific); Nacogdoches & South Eastern Railway.
Historicial Development: Hayward Lumber Company purchased a site for a major sawmill as well the abandoned Sabine & Red River Railway grade (no tracks) in 1902. The new mill opened November 1, 1904, was destroyed by fire 1908 and replaced by a larger mill. Hayward Lumber sold the operation to Frost-Johnson Lumber Company in 1910. Located at juncture of the Texas and New Orleans and the company shortline, the mill had an initial daily capacity of 110,000 feet of lumber with a single band rig in 1906. After 1908 fire, it was rebuilt as double band rig. The mill had four dry kilns, a planing mill, and lath mill with a capacity of 20,000 feet daily. During the Great Depression, the daily capacity reached only 90,000 board feet. The 1935 slogan was "Better Lumber for Better Homes.” A large supply of timber (log leaf with some short leaf of good quality) was some six to twenty miles distant to the southeast and east. The company shortline and tram road, the Nacogdoches and Southeastern, ran through Woden to Chireno near the Attoyac River. Tram lines were pushed across the river into San Augustine County, and a rail connection was established at Calgary on the tracks of the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe. A company mill town of several hundred existed for fifty years at was known at first as Hayward. The area later was included within the city limits of Nacogdoches, but the company still controlled housing and the commissary. By the spring of 1951, Frost Industries, Inc., completely rebuilt the entire facility. Olin-Matheson Industries bought the plant and logging road in 1952 and began phasing out both the following year. The sawmill closed and the tram stopped running in 1954. In 1954, the holdings were transferred to International Paper, which dismantled the mill and scrapped the railroad. A large paper plant was built on the old property west of University Avenue and north of Loop 224.
Research Date: LAT 08-08-93, JKG 12-15-93, MCJ 02-10-96
Prepared By: L. Turner, J. Gerland, M. Johnson