follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: NA-5
Corporate Name: Galloway & Wright Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: C. C. Galloway and W. T. Wright. A Cameron contract mill [Gallaway].
Location: Nacogdoches: On Old Tyler 700 feet northwest of Powers Street at creek
County: Nacogdoches
Years in Operation: 9 years
Start Year: 1898
End Year: 1906
Decades: 1890-1899,1900-1909
Period of Operation: For several years after 1899
Town: Nacogdoches
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Produced dimension lumber and interior specialty items, cabinets, and showcases, shingles, moulding
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 50000: 1902
Capacity Comments: 50,000 feet of lumber daily in 1902
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Planing mill with moulder, shaper, cut off, shingle mill, and dry kilns
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Houston, East and West Texas Railroad, and the Texas & New Orleans Railway (both later Southern Pacific)
Historicial Development: This was one of C. C. Galloway's several ventures. He and Wright, doing business as Galloway-Wright Lumber Company, purchased rough cut lumber from local mills to remanufacture speciality items. C. C. Galloway and W. T. Wright opened a large retail lumber yard in Nacogdoches before 1900, and about 1898 had built a large planing mill complex along the tracks of the Houston East & West Texas, several hundred yards north of Powers Street. The county deed records indicate that the mill was located in blocks 5 and 6 of the L. S. Taylor Labor, now near the intersection of Powers and Old Tyler Roads. Company offices and sheds were erected on North Street, property leased from Mrs. Lucinda Wade. Galloway & Wright was the first major business in Nacogdoches to install and use telephone for business purposes. The newspaper reported in March 1900 that checks belonging to the Gallaway [Galloway] and Wright Planer were stolen from George Blackburn's market. A black man was injured at the Gallaway [Galloway] & Wright Planer Mill when his ankle was dislocated by falling lumber in early April 1900. In May 1900, a dry kiln burned with the loss of a few thousand board feet. Southern Industrial and Lumber Review in 1900 reports this was a Cameron mill, which means that the company was contracted to provide part or all of its cut to Cameron while it still maintained its own ownership. Galloway & Wright Lumber Company bought the Joe P. Clevenger Mill, located several miles west of town on Moral Bayou, and reported it was temporarily closing the plant down in April, 1900. In 1902, Galloway & Wright, according to Nacogdoches County deed of trust records, were building houses in Nacogdoches. Galloway and Wright developed other sawmill interests in Mahl, Caro, and Cushing as the Texas & New Orleans built through the northwestern part of the county from 1901 to 1903. The property east of Old Tyler, it is suspected, passed into the ownership of W. J. Moore, of Nacogdoches Show Case & Manufacturing, by 1905.
Research Date: LT 08-08-93, JKG 12-15-93, MCJ 04-03-96
Prepared By: L. Turner, J. Gerland, M. Johnson