follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: NA-25
Corporate Name: C. M. Langford
Local Name:
Owner Name: C. M. Langford in 1928. With offices at Kilgore, Gregg County in 1925. C. M. Langford and brothers Ed A. Langford and others operated and directed the Langford Lumber Company.
Location: Trawick: at Southern Pacific tracks and 836
County: Nacogdoches
Years in Operation: 21 years
Start Year: 1915
End Year: 1935
Decades: 1910-1919,1920-1929
Period of Operation: 1915 to 1935
Town: Trawick
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: 84 in 1905, 100 in 1906; 500 in 1928.
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Hardwoods and shortleaf yellow pine; crossties.
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 25000: 191520000: 1928
Capacity Comments: 20,000 feet daily in 1928 25,000 feet daily in 1915
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: 1928: Circular sawmill, planing mill, edgers, trimmers
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Texas & New Orleans
Historicial Development: The Langford Lumber Company, specializing in dimension lumber, was reported to be daily cutting, in 1915, 25,000 feet of yellow pine lumber. By 1928, production had slipped to 20,000 feet daily but a planing mill had been added at the Mt. Enterprise operation, and a C. M. Langford mill was operating at Trawick, Nacogdoches County. By the 1930s, the company was in financial straits with the Angelina County Lumber Company at Keltys. The firm also operated a commissary at Trawick in 1928.
Research Date: MCJ 02-10-96
Prepared By: M Johnson