follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  

Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: NA-29
Corporate Name: Galloway and Garrison Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: C. C. Galloway. Galloway and Garrison Lumber Company. A. B. Martindale Lumber Company.
Location: South of Caro community on 814 south of Southern Pacific
County: Nacogdoches
Years in Operation: 5 years
Start Year: 1902
End Year: 1906
Decades: 1900-1909
Period of Operation: 1902 to 1906
Town: Caro
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough and finished pine lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 20000: 1906
Capacity Comments: Project 75,000 in 1904; 20,000 feet daily in 1906
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill and planer
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Texas & New Orleans
Historicial Development: A. B. Martindale of Garrison, Nacogdoches County, moved his small sawmill to a point two miles west of Mahl on the Texas & New Orleans in 1902. He enlarged the plant to accommodate new machinery. His partner, C. C. Galloway, had other mill interests in Nacogdoches. In April 1902, the newspaper reported that C. C. Galloway of Galloway and Wright Lumber of Nacogdoches had returned from Caro, which was to be the next station after Mahl on the Texas and New Orleans. The Galloway and Martindale mill had begun operations just a few days before. The mill had a contract with Nacogdoches to provide the city with ties for a proposed street car line which would run along North, Main and Mound streets. The A. B. Martindale Lumber Company dissolved when W. Y. Garrison bought Martindale's interest in May 1903. The new firm was changed to Galloway and Garrison, which assumed the debts of A. B. Martindale Lumber Company. The Beaumont Journal in January 1904 reported that the C. C. Calloway [sic] mill at Caro was expanding the capacity of the mill to 75,000-ft daily. This mill did not appear in the 1907 LCA reference book but did show at Cushing, where it had been reported in 1906 that the company had bought a mill.
Research Date: LAT 08-08-93, JKG 12-15-93, MCJ 02-10-96
Prepared By: L. Turner, J. Gerland, M. Johnson