follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: NA-37
Corporate Name: Bowden-Meador Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Bowden-Meador Lumber Company with A. W. Meador, vice-president; A. A. Meadow, secretary.
Location: Libby: intersection of J. B. Nix (243) and 1878
County: Nacogdoches
Years in Operation: 2 years
Start Year: 1906
End Year: 1907
Decades: 1900-1909
Period of Operation: 1906 to 1907
Town: Libby, near Appleby
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 25000: 1906
Capacity Comments: About 25,000 feet
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Houston East & West Texas Railroad at Garrison (later Southern Pacific)
Historicial Development: This business was the only sawmiller listed as a manufacturer of lumber at Libby in the Reference Book of the Lumbermen's Credit Association, January 1907. It would have been located northeast of Appleby and south of Garrison. The original plant was the Henry Matlock sawmill plant located northeast of Linn Flat. A. Donegan bought it and then sold the plant to Bowden-Meador, which transferred it to the Libby area. Ball-Gose Lumber Company of St Louis bought its dressed lumber. Bowden-Meador paid its debts to Henderson Iron Works by selling it more than three hundred thousand feet of lumber. The firm disappears after 1907 from newspaper and trade journal articles.
Research Date: MCJ 02-10-96
Prepared By: M Johnson