follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: NA-95
Corporate Name: Clear Springs Company
Local Name: Melrose
Owner Name: Clear Springs Company. W. M. Owens and J. W. Boatman. Martin Jones, G. W. Dyer, and J. Holt. G. W. Dyer and Frank Taylor.
Location: Clear Springs, two miles west of Nacogdoches
County: Nacogdoches
Years in Operation: 1 year
Start Year: 1907
End Year: 1907
Decades: 1900-1909
Period of Operation: 1907
Town: Clear Springs
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Houston East & West Texas and Texas & New Orleans
Historicial Development: The Clear Springs Lumber Company, located about two miles west of Nacogdoches on land owned by W. T. Mast and Hollis Mast, originally was a firm comprised of G. W. Dyer and Frank Taylor. Taylor dropped out and was replaced by Martin Jones and J. Holt. The company had legal difficulties. In August and September, 1907, Taylor successfully sued Dyer, Jones, and Holt, and the plant was sold by Sheriff Blackshear to W. Owens. G. W. Dyer apparently had succeeded to the half-interest held by Jones and Holt, which he sold in 1907 to W. M. Owens. Ownes in return sold an one-half undivided interest in the sawmill to J. W. Boatman.
Research Date: MCJ 02-10-96
Prepared By: M Johnson