follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: HA-41
Corporate Name: Frazier and Frazier-Bunt-Hopkins
Local Name:
Owner Name: Frazier and Frazier-Bunt-Hopkins. Jack Frazier and Perry Bunt, brothers-in-law.
Location: Walker's Mill, south of FM 449 and west of Spring Branch off Walker Mill's Road
County: Harrison
Years in Operation: 7 years
Start Year: 1944
End Year: 1950
Decades: 1940-1949,1950-1959
Period of Operation: 1944 to 1950s
Town: Walker's Mill
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: 617 in 1950
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Pine lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Unknown
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: About 10,000 feet daily
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill and planing mill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Unknown
Historicial Development: Jack Frazier and brother-in-law Perry Bunt opened a sawmill at Walker's Mill in 1944. It was located along and at the end of a lane that ran east from Walker Mill's Road (directly south of the Athens Church Road), with Spring Branch immediately to their east. The Fraziers provided less than a dozen tenant houses. Sidney Hopkins joined the operation in 1945, and a planing mill was added. The firm became known Frazier, Bunt, Hopkins. The community of Walker's Mill had been built in 1925 when the Walkers and Bunts closed down their mill community at nearby Gum Creek settlement.
Research Date: MCJ 02-05-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson