follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: NA-142
Corporate Name: International Paper Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: International Paper Co.
Location: Nacogdoches, University and Industrial drives
County: Nacogdoches
Years in Operation: 29 years
Start Year: 1968
End Year: 1996
Decades: 1960-1969,1970-1979,1980-1989,1990-1999
Period of Operation: Announced 1968 to 1996
Town: Nacogdoches
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: 1827 in 1905; 7000 in 1928; 30,000 in 1994
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Plywood, studs, wood chips, OSB
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam, electricity
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Annually, 100 million square feet 3/8” basis of plywood, 20 million board feet, and 3500 carloads of chips.
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: 1968: Sawmill, Chipper, chipping headrig, Chip mill, Plywood plant, Planing Mill.
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Southern Pacific
Historicial Development: This is a continuation of the original Hayward Lumber Company mill site, located about one mile southeast of the Nacogdoches county courthouse. Hayward Lumber Company was bought by Frost-Johnson Lumber Company in 1910. In December, 1951, Frost-Johnson merged with Olin Industries, Inc. Within four years, Olin-Matheson remodeled the mill and phased out the company's tram line, the Nacogdoches & South Eastern. International Paper's main introduction to Nacogdoches was the purchase of the Olin-Matheson lumber mill in 1954. Presumably, part of the earlier mill formed components of the active International Paper mill currently in Nacogdoches. In 1973, with 250 employees working with loblolly and short pine, 14,000,000 board feet were manufactured. International Paper announced in 1968 that it would build a total wood utilization lumber facility at Nacogdoches. The cost would be $5,500,000 and would add 230 new jobs to the community. Annual capacity was projected to be 100 million square feet of plywood, twenty million board feet, and 3500 carloads of wood chips. The International Paper mill at Nacogdoches burned on April 5, 1984. It had been producing plywood. Rebuilt as an OSB mill, the new plant began operations on December 16, 1986.
Research Date: MCJ 02-11-96
Prepared By: M Johnson