follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: HA-53
Corporate Name: Grogan Lumber Company [Silax Lumber Company]
Local Name:
Owner Name: Grogan Lumber Company [Silax Lumber Company]. Lancaster Brothers. Pine Ridge Lumber Company. W. H. Boeding.
Location: Pine Ridge, seventeen miles northwest of Marshall
County: Harrison
Years in Operation: 13 years
Start Year: 1893
End Year: 1905
Decades: 1890-1899,1900-1909
Period of Operation: 1893 to 1910
Town: Pine Ridge
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 25000: 1893
Capacity Comments: 25,000 feet daily
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Texas & Pacific
Historicial Development: Lancaster Brothers were reported, in 1893, to be cutting 25,000 feet daily at Marshall. Harrison County records reveal that L. V. Lancaster's mill facility was located seventeen miles northwest of Marshall in 1897. Lancaster Brothers and L. V. Lancaster are the only Lancasters listed among three “Lancaster” entries in the data base. Bob Bowman, in an unsigned article in the Crosscut, note that the mill was destroyed by fire in 1893 and rebuilt as the Pine Ridge Lumber Company in 1895. In 1897, Lancaster mortgaged the following property: ten oxen and 138 iron or steel rails laid on his tram line. By the following year, the company was in financial straits. William Robertson, the Trustee, mortgaged the company with an individual named Fry for $100. Equipment included a Hoyt planer, a flooring machine, a matcher, a resaw, a moulder, a lathe, a rip saw, a scroll saw, a cut-off saw, an electric motor, all located about twelve miles from Marshall. The five mile differences between the main mill and the planing machinery indicates the possibility Lancaster Brothers may have had two integrated milling areas. The American Lumberman reported that the Silax Lumber Company was incorporated in March 1901 for $20,000 by R. W. Grogan, W. R. Grogan, and William B. Cobb. In 1910, a Grogan Lumber deed record from Lancaster Brothers at Pine Ridge, sixteen miles northwest of Marshall, reveals that Lancaster Lumber had survived, for it owned a mill at Pine Ridge. Lancaster Bros sold the plant and the tram to the Grogans that year. But the Grogans at been at Pine Ridge for years, for R. W. Grogan lived in the old Lancaster residence just after 1900, and its switching yards were at Harleton in 1902. It is obvious that Grogan Lumber had been sawmilling at Pine Ridge since or before 1900. Pine Ridge Lumber Company was listed in 1905 as manufacturing yellow pine lumber at Pine Ridge, as was Torrans Manufacturing Company. See interpretative commentary.
Research Date: MCJ 04-09-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson