follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: NE-46
Corporate Name: James R. and Moses Lee
Local Name: Lee's Mill
Owner Name: James R. and Moses Lee. Windham Brothers
Location: Livonia or Lee's Mill, on Caney Creek, three miles northwest of Bonwier
County: Newton
Years in Operation: 35 years
Start Year: 1871
End Year: 1905
Decades: 1870-1879,1880-1889,1890-1899,1900-1909
Period of Operation: 1871 to about 1905
Town: Livonia or Lee's Mill
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: 200 before 1905
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber, ginned cotton, and cornmeal
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: James A. Davis turbine Waterloo
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Combination cotton gin, gristmill, and a 50” circular sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Railway and express at Bethany
Historicial Development: This sawmill site was located on the east bank of Caney Creek, about three miles northwest of Bonwier. In 1871 the community was known as Livonia. The Windham Bros built a combination gristmill and sawmill there in 1871. James R. Lee, with Moses Lee, bought the mill in 1879, and the name of the community changed to Lee's Mill. James Lee's mill was noted in the edition of 1884 of the Rand, McNally and Company's Directory and Shipping Guide of Lumber Mills and Lumber Dealers. Population grew as high as 200 before 1905, according to Webb. When the Jasper & Eastern railroad built through in 1905, south of Lee's Mill, the town began to decline.
Research Date: JKG 12-15-93, MCJ 01-23-96
Prepared By: J. Gerland, M Johnson