follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: OR-39
Corporate Name: Grigsby's Bluff Sawmill
Local Name:
Owner Name: Grigsby's Bluff Sawmill. Samuel Remley and John T. Johnson. C. H. Alexander.
Location: On Grigsby's Bluff above the Neches River. Later, Port Neches.
County: Orange
Years in Operation: 21 years
Start Year: 1856
End Year: 1876
Decades: 1850-1859,1860-1869,1870-1879
Period of Operation: 1856 to 1861. 1861 to 1866 grist mill only. 1866 to 1876.
Town: Grigsby's Bluff, later Port Neches
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber, scantlings, plank, cornmeal
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: 1,000,000 feet during the reporting period of the Census of 1860
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill and cornmeal
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: None
Historicial Development: Established on Grigsby's Bluff in 1856, the Remley and Johnson sawmill, according to the Census of 1860, produced in a year's time 1,000,000 feet of scantlings and plank lumber worth $12,500 from $5,000 worth of logs. They may have used slave labor. Their six white workers were paid $200 in a total monthly wage. After the War, Remley and Johnson reopened their mill in 1866. Although Johnson moved to Orange County, the men remained partners, buying the Robert Jackson mill there and then selling it to Russell & Sons. The mill at Neches Bluff burned down in 1870. Remley sold a half-interest in it to C. H. Alexander to finance the rebuilding of the Port Neches mill and the purchase of the Pedigo mill at Wiess Bluff. The company was renamed the Grigsby's Bluff Sawmill Company. When the mill burned down in 1876, it was not reopened.
Research Date: MCJ 03-24-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson