follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: PA-5
Corporate Name: Darnell Lumber Company
Local Name: Second Site
Owner Name: Gordon L. Darnell, president in 1966.
Location: Carthage: Hunter, Highway 145, and railroad tracks
County: Panola
Years in Operation: 27 years
Start Year: 1949
End Year: 1975
Decades: 1940-1949,1950-1959,1960-1969,1970-1979
Period of Operation: 1941 to 1975
Town: North of Carthage
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: In 1966, studs, kiln dried lumber, upper grades, flooring, roof decking, pulpwood chips. In 1973, upper grades
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: 1943: power unit with three boilers. 1966: steam, electric
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 40000: 196630000: 1973
Capacity Comments: 40,000 feet daily in 1966. 30,000 feet daily in 1973.
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: 1943 to 1957: circular sawmill, planing mill. 1959 to 1975: circular, barker, resaw, chipper, edger
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Gulf Colorado & Santa Fe
Historicial Development: In 1949 Darnell Lumber moved its sawmill site to a location just north of Carthage. It took a $25,000 note with First National Bank of Carthage for new property on forty-five acres of the John Thompson, W. D. Thompson, and Geo. Goodwin Surveys, located north of Carthage. The sawmill, planing mill, boiler, engine, and other equipment were included. Owners of the Darnell Lumber Company were Gordon D. Darnell, Gordon Louis Darnell, and Laurence D. Darnell. In 1956, the company was employing more than fifty workers. The company improved its manufacturing posture with the purchase in 1957 of debarking chipping equipment from International Paper for $53,117.79. Included were an electric 26" Cambio Debarker, a H. F. Chipper, and a Chip Screen. International Paper released the lien on March 27, 1959. The company employed forty-eight workers in 1966, who used three trucks, two lift trucks, twenty electric motors, two compressors, and two dry kilns in manufacturing southern pine lumber products. In 1973, Darnell Lumber produced five million board feet. Darnell Lumber closed before 1980.
Research Date: MCJ 02-08-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson