follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: PA-8
Corporate Name: Darnell Lumber Company
Local Name: First site, south of Carthage
Owner Name: Gordon L. Darnell, president (1966). Payne Manufacturing Co. Payne & Williams Lumber Company.
Location: Carthage: Highway 436 and railroad tracks
County: Panola
Years in Operation: 9 years
Start Year: 1941
End Year: 1949
Decades: 1940-1949
Period of Operation: The company operated south of Carthage from 1941 to 1949, then in the latter year moved to the site north of the community
Town: South of Carthage
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Twenty tenant houses and a boarding house
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough and finished lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: 1943: power unit with three boilers
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 40000: 1943
Capacity Comments: Probably about 40,000 feet daily.
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: 1943: circular sawmill, planing mill.
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Gulf Colorado & Santa Fe
Historicial Development: The Darnell Lumber Company occupied two sites during its sawmilling history at Carthage. According to Panola County Deed Records, Payne & Williams Lumber Company leased twenty acres south of Carthage on the Geo. Goodwin Survey in 1941 and built a sawmill plant and company town. In April, 1943, Gordon Darnell bought a circular sawmill and a sawmill town from Payne Manufacturing. It was located on twenty acres of Geo. Graham Survey , about a mile and a half south of Carthage, that had been leased to Payne & Williams Lumber Company. The purchase included the sawmill, a power unit with three boilers, twenty frame houses and a boarding house, the office with furniture, a water well, pump and pipe, two log wagons, twenty-four horses and mules, plus other items. The company took a mortgage in September, 1944, with First National Bank of Carthage on its equipment located on the Essie Boren tract of the Geo. Goodwin Survey. Equipment included a Cunningham sawmill, a 60-inch by 16-foot boiler, a 12-inch by 16-inch steam engine, trucks, trailers, horses, and other equipment. In 1949, the company moved the operation to a property located on forty-five acres of the John Thompson, W. D. Thompson, and Geo. Goodwin Surveys, located north of Carthage. The sawmill, planing mill, boiler, engine, and other equipment were included.
Research Date: MCJ 02-08-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson