follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: PA-30
Corporate Name: Brown's Building Services, Inc.
Local Name:
Owner Name: Brown's Building Services, Inc. Brown Hardwood Company with R. G. Brown
Location: Carthage
County: Panola
Years in Operation: 41 years
Start Year: 1917
End Year: 1957
Decades: 1910-1919,1920-1929,1930-1939,1940-1949,1950-1959
Period of Operation: 1917 to 1957
Town: Carthage
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: 956 in 1905; 3,200 in 1928; 1651 in 1934
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough and finished yellow pine and hardwood lumber; later added cypress lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 25000: 1952
Capacity Comments: 25,000 feet daily in 1952
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: 1952: circular sawmill, a dry kiln, a Woods 8-knife planer, moulder, two boilers, and three engines.
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Santa Fe
Historicial Development: R. G. Brown, the son of R. G. Brown, told The Gulf Coast Lumberman, in 1950, that the Brown Hardwood Company began in 1889 when his father and his father's friend, J. F. Judd, surveyed land on the west side of Longview, in Gregg County, for the possibility of going into the timber business. R. G. Brown then established a sawmill at Longview. Brown later established a sawmill at Carthage in 1917. Brown Hardwood Company had a circular sawmill in Carthage in 1928. The company also had a mill at Silsbee, Hardin County, that year. By 1931, the main mill was at Carthage, and retail outlets were at Kilgore, Longview, and Joinerville. When gas was discovered in the Carthage area in the 1940s, the wealth that it brought to Carthage and in Panola County led to a large expansion of the company's retailing business. In 1952, reported The Gulf Coast Lumberman, the company was put up for sale. The sawmill plant included a cutting capacity of 25,000 feet daily, a dry kiln, a Woods 8-knife planer, moulder, two boilers, and three engines. It had been shut down for several weeks. The sawmill business was discontinued toward the end of the decade. In February, 1960, Brown Hardwood Company changed its name to Brown Building Services, Inc., to reflect more correctly its business. R. G. Brown II was president of the corporation.
Research Date: JKG 12-10-93, MCJ 02-08-96
Prepared By: M Johnson, J Gerland