follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: PK-19
Corporate Name: Cameron Lumber Mills Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: William Cameron. R. S. Tennir and J. T. Brackenridge. Cameron Lumber Mills Company.
Location: Carmona: at Highway 287 and FM 1872
County: Polk
Years in Operation: 26 years
Start Year: 1890
End Year: 1915
Decades: 1890-1899,1900-1909,1910-1919
Period of Operation: Tennir & Brackenridge, 1880s. Cameron, 1890 to 1915.
Town: Carmona
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: 24 in 1907; 1,000 in 1920
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough and finished lumber.
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 40000: 1893
Capacity Comments: In 1893, 40,000 feet daily; 40,000 feet daily by planer.
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: A sawmill with a circular and planer (possibly dry kilns as well).
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Trinity & Sabine; (Missouri, Kansas, & Texas; Waco, Beaumont, Trinity & Sabine)
Historicial Development: According to records published about 1925, R. S. Tennir and J. T. Brackenridge built a sawmill at Carmona near the tracks of the Trinity & Sabine. On January 27, 1890, they sold it to William Cameron and Company. The sawmill's capacity was rated at between 40,000 and 60,000 board feet per day. The planing mill was rated at 40,000 feet per day. Cameron records also showed that the sawmill was destroyed by fire on May 16, 1910, but was “immediately rebuilt.” Another fire on July 28, 1914, again destroyed the sawmill, and this time, the mill was not rebuilt. The planer continued to operate until 1915, and logging operations at Carmona were transferred to the Saron facility. The logging operation did, however, continue to use its own logging trams. The American Lumberman, in 1906, noted that the Cameron tram road was eighteen miles long and operated three locomotives and thirty cars, the same numbers given in an article of 1900. Keeling reported that Cameron Lumber Mills operated five narrow gauge geared locomotives over the tram road, which was headquarted at Cameron (Carmona). The Gulf Coast Lumberman reported on 1 August 1914 that a fire had ravaged the mill on 14 July 1914. The plant was not rebuilt and logging trams were directed to the Cameron Lumber Company mill at Saron, Trinity County.
Research Date: JKG 11-16-93, MCJ 02-26-96
Prepared By: J. Gerland, M Johnson