follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: PK-28
Corporate Name: Coley's Tie Mill
Local Name:
Owner Name: Coley's Tie Mill. Coley & Son Lumber Company with W. K. and Billy Coley.
Location: Livingston
County: Polk
Years in Operation: 13 years
Start Year: 1954
End Year: 1966
Decades: 1950-1959,1960-1969
Period of Operation: 1954 to 1966
Town: Livingston
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: 2,865 in 1950
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Railroad crossties and rough and dressed lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Unknown
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill and planing mill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Unknown
Historicial Development: The Coley & Son Lumber Company at Livingston began in 1954 as a partnership between W. K. and Billy Coley. By 1958, according to the Directory of Texas Manufacturers 1956-1958, the sawmill was producing railroad crossties with a workforce of less than twenty. The mill eventually became known as Coley's Tie Mill. Samson reported that in 1966 the plant produced rough and dressed lumber as well as other items of manufacturing.
Research Date: MCJ 02-26-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson