follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: RU-2
Corporate Name: Dealy Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Dealy Lumber Company
Location: Flanagan: intersection of Highways 2210 and 2294
County: Rusk
Years in Operation: 4 years
Start Year: 1900
End Year: 1903
Decades: 1900-1909
Period of Operation: 1900 to 1903
Town: Flanagan
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: 69 in 1905
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Finished lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: 40-horsepower steam engine
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 40000: 1902
Capacity Comments: 40,000 feet daily
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Planing mill with a planer, ripsaw, ten lumber buggies, etc.
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Two-mile company tram linking the Trinity and Sabine Valley Railroad (later the Texas and Gulf) to the mill at Hendrick's Lake
Historicial Development: After buying land near Hendrick's Lake for a sawmill, Charles Dealy of Dallas, Texas, president of Dealy Lumber Company, bought in 1900 land adjacent to the Trinity and Sabine Valley Railroad and on the Flanagan property. Here he built a very large planing mill to finish the lumber milled by the sawmill at the Lake. A two-mile tram road connected the mill at Hendrick's Lake to Flanagan. The American Lumberman noted in June of 1900 that the Dealy Lumber Company had built a sawmill (40,000-ft daily) at Hendrick's Lake and a planing mill (Hall & Brown equipment) at nearby Flanagan City. The lake opened from Sabine River, providing an opportunity for log booming down the river and into the lake to the mill. The lake would be used for pond purposes, able to hold 3,000,000 feet of timber. The company would specialize in “Panola county boxing,” clear finish, and heart stock. The planer shed and buildings housed a 40-horsepower steam engine and boiler as well as a company residence (probably for Dealy or the mill manager), a commissary and tenant houses.
Research Date: JKG 11-8-93, MCJ 04-15-96
Prepared By: J Gerland, M Johnson