follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: RU-6
Corporate Name: Henderson Lumber and Planing Mill Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Henderson Lumber and Planing Mill Company. Also the Henderson Lumber Company. Owners in 1912: B. F. Grounds, L. H. Evans, Jesse Deason, and the secretary-treasurer was J. H. Reese.
Location: Henderson, Webster Drive and the Missouri Pacific tracks
County: Rusk
Years in Operation: 14 years
Start Year: 1906
End Year: 1919
Decades: 1900-1909,1910-1919
Period of Operation: 1906 to 1919
Town: Henderson
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: twelve tenant houses
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough and finished lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: 1912: Erie 44-inch by 12-foot boiler and an Atlas 12-inch by 16-inch steam engine
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: 150,000 feet daily in 1906 (obviously incorrect: see commentary)
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill and planer
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: International & Great Northern
Historicial Development: The Southern Industrial and Lumber Review noted in September, 1906, that the lumber facility of the Henderson Lumber and Planing Mill Company at Henderson was producing 150,000 feet daily in 1906. The plant also appeared in a roster of Lumbermen's Association of Texas, Manufacturers, printed in the July 1909 issue of Southern Industrial and Lumber Review. It did not appear in the LCA listing for 1905. Rusk County deed records reveal that L. H. Evans and B. F. Grounds mortgaged a one-half interest in the company to Jesse Deason on December 21, 1912. Equipment included an Erie boiler, an Atlas steam engine, two circular saws, a three-saw edger, twelve tenant houses, dollies, sheds, etc. The company continued operating under its own name and, at times, under the name of the Henderson Lumber Company, throughout the second decade of the twentieth century.
Research Date: JKG 11-8-93, MCJ 02-12-96
Prepared By: J. Gerland, M. Johnson