follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  

Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: SB-7
Corporate Name: H. M. Maund Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: H. M. Maund Lumber Company. This is listed as “Mound Lumber Company” in a 1928 directory. Mr. Neathery was a partner about 1919.
Location: One mile from Hemphill at Maund's Switch on highway 184
County: Sabine
Years in Operation: 16 years
Start Year: 1913
End Year: 1928
Decades: 1910-1919,1920-1929
Period of Operation: 1913 to 1928
Town: Maund's Switch, near Hemphill
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Twenty tenant houses
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Longleaf and shortleaf yellow pine.
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 25000: 1928
Capacity Comments: 25,000 feet daily
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Circular sawmill, planing mill, trimmers, edgers, dry kilns
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Lufkin, Hemphill & Gulf tram
Historicial Development: In 1913, H. M. Maund leased from E. P. Padgett for five years at $50 per year to build a steam sawmill on eighty-one acres of the Joseph Walker Survey, “just west of the Rhodes Mill branch where the machinery is now located and the said H M Maund has right to construct railroad switch to the Lufkin, Hemphill and Gulf RR track.” In 1921, Maund's lease with E. P. Padgett was located was extended until 1923, at which time the sawmill and planing mill could be moved. In 1920, Maund contracted to sell to South Texas Lumber Company 700,000 feet of lumber at its mill for $140,000. Maund also agreed to contract its cut for three years to South Texas. By 1928, a listing indicates that Maund had a commissary and that the sawmill had a capacity for cutting 25,000 feet daily. Drayton Speights remembered that Maund also had twenty tenant houses for whites. Black workers lived on farms. Drayton Speights told W. T. Block that he had worked for Harry Maund during the 1920s. He remembered that the sawmill at Maund's Switch was cutting about 35,000 feet daily, had a steam engine and boiler, a 50” circular sawmill and an American #77 planing machine. Maund' s fifty employees worked in the mill and the woods. The logging was done with a Shay engine, log cars, oxen, and mules, over a four-mile logging tram road. Pay was issued in company script. Speights in a later interview with Vernon Beasley told him that the script was issued in “post cards” of five, ten, twenty-five and fifty cents, and one dollar denominations. The cards were used at the company store. Mrs. Dixie Sparks, the daughter of Mr. Neathery, told Vernon L. Beasley that her father was in business with Maund in 1919 at Milam. This operation was ran a cotton gin as well as a sawmill.
Research Date: MCJ 12-05-95
Prepared By: M Johnson