follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: SA-3
Corporate Name: Collwood Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Luke E. Wright, President
Location: White City
County: San Augustine
Years in Operation: 10 years
Start Year: 1919
End Year: 1928
Decades: 1910-1919,1920-1929
Period of Operation: Before 1919 to 1928
Town: White City
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Ash, cottonwood, elm, red gum, hickory, soft maple, red and white oak, pecan, and shortleaf pine
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 30000: 1928
Capacity Comments: 30,000 feet daily
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Circular, edgers and trimmers
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: St Louis Southwestern (Cotton Belt)
Historicial Development: The Collwood Lumber Company of White City, San Augustine, operated from before 1919 to the days of the Great Depression. M. Beard, in an interview with Vernon L. Beasley, noted that the Collwood Lumber Company operated a sawmill about 1907 in the Veatch area, about seven miles southeast of Broaddus. He believes it was sold to Luke Wright and then later to Kurth-Zeagler about 1910. Wright had the mill by 1919 while the Kurth-Zeagler plant did not open until the mid-1920s. The company operated a four-mile tram road with rolling stock of a Mogul locomotive, a Clover-type locomotive, and a steam loader. The company also ran a mill town for its employees with tenant housing and medical services. In 1928, the Collwood Lumber Company was listed in the Southern Lumberman's Directory of American Saw Mills and Planing Mills. The Collwood Lumber Company's mill at White City was listed in the 1928 edition of the Southern Lumberman's directory of sawmills as cutting ash, cottonwood, elm, red gum, hickory, soft maple, red and white oak, pecan, and shortleaf pine at 30,000 feet per day. The lumber facility did not survive the Great Depression.
Research Date: JKG, 8-20-93 MCJ 02-19-96
Prepared By: J. Gerland, M Johnson