follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  

Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: SA-11
Corporate Name: J. J. Bland and Fisher
Local Name:
Owner Name: J. J. Bland and Fisher
Location: Bland Lake,FM 1279 and railroad tracks
County: San Augustine
Years in Operation: 9 years
Start Year: 1902
End Year: 1910
Decades: 1900-1909,1910-1919
Period of Operation: 1902 to 1910
Town: Bland Lake
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Commissary
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber, cornmeal, and cotton
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 25000: 1904
Capacity Comments: 25,000 bd-ft daily in 1904
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: # 2 sawmill, cotton gin, and grist mill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Santa Fe
Historicial Development: J. J. Bland was cutting 25,000 feet daily in 1904 at Bland Lake according to a Santa Fe circular. An individual named Fisher must have joined Bland as a partner before 1906, for the Southern Industrial and Lumber Review reported that Bland and Fisher were manufacturing 20,000 feet of lumber at their mill at Bland Lake in 1906. Although not listed in its 1905 edition, Bland and Fisher were listed in the Reference Book of the Lumbermen's Credit Association, January 1907. The Bland-Fisher Lumber Company operated a sawmill with a commissary attached at Bland Lake. In 1906 the mortgaged for $1837 a #2 1/2 Hall and Brown 6-inch by 18-inch planer-matcher. They were taxed on commissary wares, product and boilers in 1907 and in 1910 on product, manufacturing tools, and boilers. Maxie Martin believes the mill was a multi-purpose in that it had a gin and grist operation as well as a lumber milling plant. He also believes it was operating as early as 1902. The mill closed sometime after 1910.
Research Date: MCJ 02-19-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson