follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  

Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: SA-13
Corporate Name: A. E. Bates
Local Name:
Owner Name: Charles Hardy. Harvey Crockett Lumber Company. A. E. Bates.
Location: Broaddus
County: San Augustine
Years in Operation: 41 years
Start Year: 1940
End Year: 1980
Decades: 1940-1949,1950-1959,1960-1969,1970-1979,1980-1989
Period of Operation: 1940s to about 1985
Town: Broaddus
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber and chips
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Power Source: Electric
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Unknown
Historicial Development: The Harvey Crockett Lumber Company was listed in the 1957 edition of Nelson T. Samson's Directory of Wood-Using and Related Industries in East Texas. Ernest Nash told Vernon L. Beasley in an oral interview that he believed the mill operated until the 1970s. M. Beard also noted that it operated from the 1940s until it was sold to Charles Hardy in the 1970s. Hubert Busby told Beasley that the company was sold to A. E. Bates Lumber Company. Bates also owned the Harvey Creek Lumber Company and the Broaddus Lumber Company, both established at Broaddus. The Directory of Texas Manufacturers, 1956-1958 lists the sawmill of the Harvey Crockett Lumber Company. The firm had been established in 1953.
Research Date: MCJ 02-19-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson