follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: SA-70
Corporate Name: F. J. Jernigan and J. W. Luman.
Local Name:
Owner Name: F. J. Jernigan and J. W. Luman. J. D. Belser and W. H. Teel.
Location: Three miles south of San Augustine
County: San Augustine
Years in Operation: 1 year
Start Year: 1921
End Year: 1921
Decades: 1920-1929
Period of Operation: 1921
Town: South of San Augustine
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Ties
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Tie mill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: #1 W. K. Henderson Works sawmill
Historicial Development: According to San Augustine County bill of sale records, J. D. Belser and W. H. Teel sold for $1,200 to F. J. Jernigan and J. W. Luman a tie mill, a boiler, a steam engine, and a complete saw rig located about three miles south of San Augustine. The sawmill was located on the J. A. Burleson farm. On 19 July 1921 he sold the mill with boiler, engine, and a #1 W. K. Henderson sawmill back to J. O. Belser and W. H. Teel.
Research Date: MCJ 02-19-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson