follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: AG-33
Corporate Name: A. J. Oliver Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: A. J. Oliver Lumber Company. E. A. Blount.
Location: Diboll, one-quarter of a mile north of Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill
County: Angelina
Years in Operation: 2 years
Start Year: 1905
End Year: 1906
Decades: 1900-1909
Period of Operation: 1905 to 1906
Town: One mile north of Diboll
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Hardwood lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Band sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Houston East & West Texas
Historicial Development: The A. J. Oliver Lumber Company in 1905, according to the Mechanic Lien Records of Angelina County, was situated about one-quarter of a mile north of the Southern Pine Lumber Company's “saw & planing mill, near the HEWT.” Southern Pine leased the land on July 3, 1905, to Oliver Lumber, located on the J. A. Prado Grant. The two-story building was 120 feet long by 60 feet wide. Henderson Brick & Construction Company set four boilers and two engines in brick for Oliver Lumber Company. The engines were set beneath the sawmill building itself, and a fire wall separated the mill shed from the boilers and machinery foundation beneath the building. The hardwood mill of the A. J. Oliver Lumber Company was in receivership when John Durst of Tyler, as trustee, sold the mill to E. A. Blount of Nacogdoches, who intended to move the mill near Appleby.
Research Date: MCJ 01-09-96
Prepared By: M Johnson