follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: SB-29
Corporate Name: Dainwood & Love
Local Name:
Owner Name: Dainwood & Love, later owned by a Mr. Hart; Tom and Therry McGraw; Frank N. Broach; and Levi McDaniel.
Location: Fairdale, near the Sabine River, south of Five Miles Creek
County: Sabine
Years in Operation: 16 years
Start Year: 1885
End Year: 1900
Decades: 1880-1889,1890-1899,1900-1909
Period of Operation: About 1885 to 1900
Town: Fairdale
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Unknown
Historicial Development: Tradition has it that H. L. Dainwood and Charlie L. Love built the first sawmill at Fairdale. The machinery for the mill came down the Sabine River on the steamboat Neches Belle (it plied the river from 1888 to 1897, when it sank at Logansport). The equipment was unloaded at Hickory Bluff and hauled by oxen to Fairdale.
Research Date: MCJ 02-13-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson