follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: SH-6
Corporate Name: Anderson Manufacturing Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: M. L. Anderson, president. R. D. Duke. Albert Burns Lumber Company.
Location: Tenaha
County: Shelby
Years in Operation: 45 years
Start Year: 1952
End Year: 1996
Decades: 1950-1959,1960-1969,1970-1979,1980-1989,1990-1999
Period of Operation: 1952 to 1996
Town: Tenaha
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber, studs, dimension, upper grades, flooring, paneling, manufactured siding.
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Diesel in 1940s. Steam, electric (1958); power furnished by public utility in 1966. Steam.
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 58000: 195840000: 1975
Capacity Comments: From 58,000 feet daily in 1958 and 40,000 feet daily in 1975
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Saw and planing mill with circular, barkers, edgers, planers, chippers, resaws. An 8-ft band saw was added in 1975.
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Southern Pacific and Gulf, Coast, and Santa Fe
Historicial Development: Marshall Anderson, with two partners, bought the R. D. Duke sawmill in December, 1945. The company operated as the Construction Supply Co with Anderson as the operations manager. He bought out the partners in 1949. M. Cooper told Vernon L. Beasley that he believes that the Anderson operation in the 1940s as a diesel-powered circular sawmill and planer plant. In 1952, Anderson sold to Center Woods Products Company the planing mill, including the building, planers, blowers, and a Ross lift truck. By 1958, products included ninety percent pine lumber and ten percent oak lumber. Logging operations used twenty-five horses and eleven contract trucks. The death of plant manager Lonnie B. Anderson in 1962 demonstrated the inherent dangerousness of sawmilling. He was struck by a piece of machinery. In 1966, company employed 118 personnel. It also owned following mill equipment: dry kilns, log stackers, lift trucks. Products were made only of shortleaf pine. In 1973, the plant produced about 1.5 million board feet, an average of about 6,000 feet daily. The company still did some of its own logging and had expanded operations to cover cypress and hardwood lumber production. The company has been listed repeatedly in forest-product directories, the latest in the 1987 Directory of Forest Products Industries In Texas.
Research Date: MCJ 02-29-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson