follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: SH-77
Corporate Name: Globe Lumber Company
Local Name: “Jack Greer” sawmill
Owner Name: Globe Lumber Company. A. C. Lynch.
Location: Neuville: on 2140, where road turns to the west in Neuville Community
County: Shelby
Years in Operation: 8 years
Start Year: 1904
End Year: 1911
Decades: 1900-1909,1910-1919
Period of Operation: 1904 to 1911
Town: Neuville
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 40000: 1906
Capacity Comments: 40,000 feet daily
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe. Company tram.
Historicial Development: The Beaumont Journal announced that “The Globe Lbr Co is the name of brand new enterprise just launched at Neuville on the Santa Fe in Shelby County not far from Center.” It intended to build a sawmill, produce lumber, “and build tram roads.” A Santa Fe circular, published two months later, stated that the mill was cutting 40,000 feet daily. This sawmill also operated at times as the Lynch Bros. Lumber Co. A 1906 edition of the Southern Industrial and Lumber Review listed a Lynch Brothers mill at Neuville cutting about 10,000 feet daily. The mill began earlier. In April 1903, either C. O. or C. A. Lynch mortgaged a 10-inch by 12-inch Atlas engine to Walter Connally Lumber Company. W. H. & C. P. Lynch mortgaged to George Dilley & Son an Ames 10-inch by 12-inch engine in 1906. A. C. Lynch mortgaged for $400 to R. T. McCauley an Henderson boiler, a 25-horsepower Atlas engine, a 3-saw edger, and all fixtures known as the Jack Greer sawmill (this may have been the J. M. Greer mill listed in 1906 at Roan cutting 20,000 feet daily). A second mill named Lynch & Buckler was also operating at Neuville in 1906. A. C. Lynch mortgaged to T. T. McCauley for $400 on 22 January 1911 a sawmill identified in the San Augustine County records as the “Jack Greer” sawmill, which was being “run under Globe Lumber Co shed at Neuville, Shelby County.” In the 1910 Shelby Census, Arch Lynch was a “sawmiller” domiciled at Precinct 2, residence 123, and Charlie Lynch, another “sawmiller,” was residing at Precinct 2, residence 104. The Handbook of Texas noted that Neuville, founded in 1904, was named for a family that had lived in the area since the 1840s.
Research Date: LT 08-17-93, MCJ 02-29-96
Prepared By: L Turner, M Johnson