follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  

Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: SH-90
Corporate Name: Hughes Brothers Lumber Co.
Local Name: Center
Owner Name: A. B. and J. R. Hughes
Location: Center
County: Shelby
Years in Operation: 2 years
Start Year: 1906
End Year: 1907
Decades: 1900-1909
Period of Operation: 1906
Town: Center
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: 859 in 1905; 4000 in 1928; 2510 in 1934
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 10000: 1906
Capacity Comments: 10,000 feet daily
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: In 1905, the Houston East & West Texas at Tenaha; later the Gulf Coast & Santa Fe at Center
Historicial Development: Southern Industrial and Lumber Review reported that this mill was manufacturing 10,000 feet daily in 1906. The year of 1907 was difficult financially for the Hughes Brothers. In March, they had to mortgage most of their property to J. R. Schilling. The next month, they did the same with Dilley & Son. In June, they mortgaged twice: to Redditt & Fleshman and J. R. Schilling. In September, they had to mortgage to L. F. Owens all their salable lumber and their sawmill outfit. Two months later, Owens took a mortgage on their lumber and ties and the cut for November and December on lumber and ties.
Research Date: LT 08-17-93, MCJ 02-29-96
Prepared By: L Turner, M Johnson