follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  

Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: SH-129
Corporate Name: J. R. Schilling & Co
Local Name:
Owner Name: J. R. & D. I. Schilling. M. M. Tolar (Toler)
Location: near Center
County: Shelby
Years in Operation: 5 years
Start Year: 1906
End Year: 1910
Decades: 1900-1909
Period of Operation: 1906 to 1910
Town: near Center
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: 859 in 1905; 4000 in 1928; 2510 in 1934
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Manufactured lumber and cornmeal
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Power Source: 35-horsepower steam engine
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 10000: 1906
Capacity Comments: 10,000 feet daily
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: 60-inch silver steel E C Atkins Company circular sawmill; #2 Henderson sawmill; 30-inch grist mill; 30-inch 3-saw edger; Curtis Dixie D sawmill; carriage and set works; #2 Dixie head blocks, two sawmill dogs.
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: In 1905, the Houston East & West Texas at Tenaha; later the Gulf Coast & Santa Fe at Center
Historicial Development: M. M. Tolar (or Toler) operated a sawmill at Joaquin in 1906. He sold it to J. R. Schilling & Company by the following year, who had moved it to near Center. J. H. Harvey took a mortgage on the Schillings or a boiler, a steam engine, a #2 Henderson sawmill and a 30-inch grist mill. In May 1906, the company mortgaged to Dilley for $400 a Curtis Dixie D sawmill, a carriage and set works, head blocks, two sawmill dogs, saw dust conveyor, and five lumber dolleys. The next day Schilling got a lumber wagon from Lindsey Wagon Company on mortgage. In February 1907, Schilling mortgaged to Dilley & Son a 30-inch 3-saw edger and to B.. A. Barnes “all lumber manufactured by us at our sawmill near Center.” That same month, the Schillings mortgage to Tolar “the boiler, dustrig, dust chain, a circular sawmill, and 70 feet of belting,” all of which had been bought earlier from Tolar. By May, Schilling mortgaged to W. J. Owens ten horses and mules, twelve yokes of oxen, five log wagons. James R. Schilling was enumerated at Precinct 1, residence 91, on Logansport Road, in 1910. Charles A. Manning lived at residence 94, Precinct 1, and was enumerated as the sawmill foreman of the J. R. Schilling sawmill.
Research Date: MCJ 03-01-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson