follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: SJ-17
Corporate Name: Elmore Manufacturing Company.
Local Name:
Owner Name: Elmore Manufacturing Company. Frank H. Elmore Manufacturing Company. University Oaks Lumber Company.
Location: Between New Waverly and Willis. Office in Willis in 1957.
County: San Jacinto
Years in Operation: 20 years
Start Year: 1938
End Year: 1957
Decades: 1930-1939,1940-1949,1950-1959
Period of Operation: 1938 to 1954
Town: Between New Waverly and Willis
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough and finished lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: 1941: Power units. 1943: steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: 1939: American #1 sawmill with edgers. 1942: added planer. 1943: added dry kiln. 1946: A “lumber mill complete.” 1950: sawmill, planer, dry kiln. 1952: sawmill, portable sawmill, dry kiln, and planer.
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Unknown
Historicial Development: The first mill of the Frank H. Elmore Manufacturing Company was mortgaged in 1939 to Egner Brothers. It was a inserted-tooth sawmill with a mandrel, sawmill track, with edgers, etc. Elmore Manufacturing, in 1946 bought a “lumber mill complete” from the University Oaks Lumber Company, which was recorded in San Jacinto County records. The company mortgaged on May 1, 1947, four trucks and trailors to the Huntsville State Bank. In January, 1950, the Frank Hill Elmore mortgaged to New Waverly State Bank for two tractors, a steam dry kiln, a boiler, a steam engine, a water pup, a planer, a sawdust blower, blowpipe, and other equipment. On April 30, 1952, Elmore mortgaged his portable sawmill, dry kiln, planer, and a sawmill to New Waverly State Bank for $11,435. On May 17, 1954, F. H. Elmore Lumber Co mortgaged to New Waverly State Bank a dry kiln boiler, a steam engine, a SA Woods planing machine, a 35-inch sawdust blower, all knives, and an International #20 power unit, and a complete sawmill, located in San Jacinto County. This company evolved into the Elmore Manufacturing Company, located at Willis, which appeared in the 1957 edition of Nelson T. Samson's Directory of Wood-Using and Related Industries in East Texas.
Research Date: MCJ 02-23-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson